Updates & News
Sentiment Gatherer Consultant Designer Request for Proposal
Posted 6 December 2017 12:00 AM by Katie Gillum
The inroads team is looking for an experienced visual and information designer who can support the inroads team to create a Sentiment Gatherer and Platform for Real-time Sentiment Visualization. The project will include a. working with the established dictionary/database and b. concepting the visualization mechanism for the gathered data, c. designing or adapting from an existing palette the appropriate palette for visualization and user interfaces, d. developing design elements to support the visualization and user interface for the Sentiment Gatherer.
Required experience or competencies:
- Real time data visualization experience.
- Interested and able to work with an established color palette/blend or adapt current palette and branding for visualization or user interface.
- Comfort with D3, Processing, or other visualization tools.
- Available for 1 hour weekly progress and project meeting.
- Iterative design and development process experience and/or comfort.
- Flexible about delivery mechanisms.
- Interested in joining a feminist, non-hierarchical and user-design focused informed team.
- Experience making things that get used.
- Can successfully communicate conceptual ideas and design rationale, both verbally and visually.
- Experience with user research or input informing design decisions (you get that this is not an art project despite the fact that we want it to function in some ways like experiential art).
- Experience with art exhibitions, mixed media/visual art.
- Understands basic development/IA/UX principles.
- Written and spoken fluency in English for design meeting, process and for use of English dictionary to be visualized.
- Available to work between January 3 and March 16, 2018.
Preferred experience or competencies:
- Experience designing for diverse, global user base.
- Experience with sentiment mapping.
- Experience with Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights and/or Reproductive Justice movements.
- Able to meet during some part of US Eastern or Pacific Time 9-5pm.
SCOPE OF WORK
The goal of the project is to design the look and feel and visual interaction of real time data aggregation. The International Network for the Reduction of Abortion Discrimination and Stigma is creating a real-time “Sentiment Gatherer” to allow individuals to share their personal sentiments about abortion anonymously while adding to a collective, public representation of the group sentiments and associations with abortion.
The tool will be piloted in March 2018 when inroads will host the 2nd inroads Global Member Gathering in Zagreb, Croatia. During this five-day gathering of inroads members, attendees will engage in workshops, participatory panels, mutual learning, and discussions with an exciting group of fellow experts all active in mitigating abortion stigma in their contexts and regional settings.
Consultant will work as Designer and Development support, contributing to the iterative design and development of the inroads Sentiment Gatherer, led by Katie Gillum, developed by Kyle Goetschius.
In collaboration with inroads design and development team, consultant will:
- Attend a meeting team kick off with core planning team and consultant staff to agree on roles, responsibilities, process.
- Participate in weekly check-in calls and roughly bi-weekly worksessions with inroads team to be scheduled for participation from Consultant and inroads Team.
- Design or respond to taxonomy of sentiment dictionary.
- Create 1-2 design concepts for visualizing real time data.
- Develop design elements to support the visualization and the user interface.
- Deliver all design elements to the inroads team by March 1, 2018 and documentation by March 10, 2018.
- Review implemented design prior to launch.
- Be available for support or fixes March 11th-March 16th.
- Participate in follow up activities, including a one-hour meeting debrief with core planning team to capture lessons learned from the conference (by April 30) and other activities as identified by core planning team for up to one ¼ day.
- Design elements for Visualization
- Specifications for Visualization Mechanism
- Design elements for Sentiment Gathering User Interface
Expected period of performance January 2nd-March 16th. Deadline for deliverables, following participation in iterative process, is March 1, 2018.
For the above work and any further duties and any additional tasks as agreed between Consultant and project team, the project budget is in the range between $9,500 and $14,500 (USD).
inroads (as hosted by Ipas) does not expect any travel costs for Consultant, but will cover reasonable expenses directly associated with the project, to be discussed and approved by project lead prior to expenditures.
Send the following in an email with “Designer: Sentiment Gatherer” in the subject line to firstname.lastname@example.org by 3 January no later than 9am EST/ 6am PST/ 2pm GMT.
- Statement expressing your interest and relevant experience
- A project plan or approach to the project scope and goals
- Relevant design portfolio or link to portfolio with statement contextualizing the most relevant work to this contracted project
- C.V. or Resume with relevant past experience or consultant project descriptions
- Day and/or hourly rate
- Availability from January 8-March 16th 2018